Tuesday, November 18, 2008

tuesday groove

I had to clear snow off of my car this morning. It's always a rude awakening the first time you have to do that every winter. F-ing snow. I like it...but it's a royal pain, and my body hasn't adjusted to the cold yet.

So, I am obsessed with Beyonce's new song, Single Ladies. This is going to be my new morning groove and am making a new work out mix to feature it. I should have worked out today, but thats another story. I promise myself to work out tomorrow, since it also helps improve my mood. A good, energetic song never fails to help me start the day on a positive note. This one makes me just want to get up and dance, even though I don't really dance. What you may not know is that I am a dance superstar in the privacy of my own apartment. However, my moves are not for public consumption...

I started my new job at Starbucks very, very early on Monday morning. I was unable to fall asleep the night before, so going on two hours sleep from work, straight to class had me in a pretty foul and hopeless mood. I know/hope that once I can adjust to this schedule it will be easier, but I also know that I certainly have a tendency to sort of get all doom and gloom about things from time to time, especially when I am tired. Monday was one of those days. With excellent encouraging words from my parents and Ben I was feeling better by the end of the day.

Again, I had trouble sleeping last night - although 5 hours of sleep is much better than 2. I ended up getting off work a little early, and coming home for a nap, which went longer than I had originally intended. I am feeling more caught up on sleep, but am now concerned it may affect how early I get to sleep tonight. I don't know...I'm still feeling pretty tired.

Since I worked for Starbucks before (for almost two years mind you) the training is going very smoothly. I remember a lot of it, and there isn't *so* much that has changed. I got a bit ahead today so tomorrow morning I will start making drinks on the bar right away, as opposed to having to trudge through the reading (which is a good refresher, but pretty boring overall). There are some new drinks I will have to learn, but I think I remember a lot of the other stuff. Beth, my learning coach, is so nice, as are the rest of the people who work there. Andi, my manager seems really great as well - from what I can tell of them so far, I really like her management philosophy. Overall it seems like such a positive place to work. I have a lot of really happy memories from my previous stint at Starbucks - until a bad management change sent everything awry - and am looking forward to this experience. Working in the morning will be an adjustment for sure, but thats when the best parts of the job take place - Making drinks, interacting with customers, being busy. The night shifts were the ones I didn't like as much - there's so much in the store that has to be cleaned and sanitized every night - breaking down all the syrup pumps, mopping, doing load after load after load of dishes...those are the things I will not miss.

6 days till the arrival of the physicist. A little more than a week from thanksgiving. I will be working a lot, but am going to try to get ahead on homework this week so that when I am not in class or at work I can enjoy the time with my family, and my man.

My cats are crazy...but are actually being quiet right now. Amazing. Now I will run out to procure some dinner before the Jackets game starts. Sadly it's not on tv, so I will have to listen on the radio...or use my dad's special NHL video account thing (since he's at the game after all)...while I type up the final copy of my French composition. I am going to turn that bugger in early.

So there you have it...my life in a nutshell. Woot.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"However, my moves are not for public consumption..."

Except for the Chinese food dance...