Sunday, November 9, 2008

I don't think you're ready for this jelly.

I think it's safe to say that without a doubt, the various jellyfish on display were my favorite part of the Monterey Bay Aquarium. I haven't had much experience with jellyfish, or jellies, as they are properly called. ('cause they're not fish!) I've been lucky enough to have never been stung by one, and might have caught one or two at the various aquariums I have visited, but other than that, no real jelly time. I was filled with childlike glee when we saw an assortment of moon jellies on our whale watching adventure, but getting to see them up close and personal at the aquarium was fantastic!


First up, the purple striped jelly...






Next up, moon jelly - We saw these on the whale watching trip, but they looked much more pink than white as they floated along.


A zillion little moon jellies...so cute!



Ben was right, the sea nettles were my favorite. It was pretty mesmerizing watching them squish around in their tank.




A better close up of the tentacles...simply amazing!



Here's a (blurry) shot of the sea nettle tank - gives you a better idea of how big it was and more importantly how many of them were in there.


Hard at work, capturing the jelly madness.


I wish this wasn't so blurry...but just to prove we were really there!



Basking in the squishy jelly glow.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Awww..."childlike glee" :)

Unknown said...

PS the last word I had to enter for google to determine that I was a person and not a robot was "cathell".

Anonymous said...

Cool!! So neat seeing those Jellyfish up close like that!!

Susannah said...

I love the jelly display there. I've seen it probably 4 or 5 times, and every time it's just as amazing. Jellyfish rock! :)