Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Doing my civic duty

I voted today. It was very important to me to make sure I did so.

I went with my mom to my old elementary school, and stood in line in the cafeteria. It only took about 15 minutes which was a very pleasant surprise. It was kinda odd being back in that room - it's been many years since I was in there. I remember how big that cafeteria used to seem, and today it seemed so small. There were still names of teachers on the wall that I recognized, along with a lot of fun kid art. There was no school today, but there were some kids roaming the halls, perhaps kids of volunteers. They had all made their own "voting badges" to pass out - little pads of post-it notes that they had written messages on. "I voted. :)" (smiley face included of course) It was really cute to see how excited they were about the whole situation. I was excited too.

I'm always a little bit surprised at how patriotic I feel standing at the voting booth. I checked my ballot carefully to make sure I put everything in correctly. I took a moment to just stand there and take it all in. I may not be as informed about politics as I could be. Or should be. But I believe in the candidate I voted for. I believe that things can improve in this country. It doesn't make me any less proud to be an American, or to participate in the voting process. It's not only my right, it is my duty.

I will be watching anxiously this evening to see how things turn out...A new chapter of our collective history as a country will begin tonight. I am hopeful.

No comments: