Monday, January 26, 2009

gotta get away


I'm not gonna lie...the winter weather of doom had been getting me down, and when the opportunity arose to plan a weekend getaway to Detroit, I was all about it. Perhaps not your most enticing weekend getaway destination, but my friends Matt and Sandro were there with the touring company of A Chorus Line, and the physicist was able to get a ticket from warm, sunny California (yes, I'm jealous) to meet me there. So it wasn't so much the destination, as the people I would get to spend time with once there. Great success.


I believe that this picture does not require any extra explanation...business as usual really.



We were able to catch Matt and Sandro for a drink at the Fisher Building before we saw the show. Matt is always happy to pose for candid photos.



The bar itself was really pretty - I felt it deserved it's own picture.


I was very excited for Ben to meet Matt and Sandro...mostly because they are fucking awesome.

Happy happy.


Aren't they cute?


Knob creek does a body good.


The Fisher Building in Detroit was so gorgeous. Covered in mosaics and awesome art deco style. I probably could have spent an hour just taking pictures of all the wonderful sights inside. Some of these are blurry, but they give you the idea of the awesomeness.








After the show, we went to this swanky swanky steakhouse for some delicious meat. Yum!


This would be an awesome picture, were it not for the stupid renegade curl obscuring my face.



The weekend was relaxing overall. We didn't do anything super exciting, but had lots of time to chat, which was nice. Before I had to drop Ben off at the airport, we made a trip to starbucks...cause after having gone over 24 hours without, I was seriously jonesing.


Now that Ben will taunt me forever for being "bohemian" I flash a peace sign.



Pondering the flight back to California. Or perhaps some physics...



The physicist makes me happy.


And he *loves* his cappuccino.





Since it is of course totally safe to take pictures while driving, I snapped this one of the setting sun on my way back to Ohio.



There's much work to be done, and I'm sure to be a busy bee, but this weekend away really gave my soul some much needed happiness. I'm so thankful for the wonderful people in my life. They make it possible to get through all these dreary winter days.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

>So it wasn't so much the destination, as the people I would get to spend time with once there.

I couldn't have said it better myself :) See you on Valentine's Day!