Monday, October 27, 2008

The adventure begins

Back at home after a truly wonderful weekend in Monterey. I want to make sure to give all the happenings their proper limelight in blog-land, so I'll break things up into several posts.

I flew out early, early, early, on Thursday morning to meet Ben in San Francisco. I knew he had some surprises planned for us for the weekend, but really wasn't sure what he had up his sleeve. It's been hard with him all the way off in California this past month, so I was very excited to see him none the less.

He picked me up at the airport, we grabbed some lunch, made a quick stop at the house where he is staying (where he packed a suitcase) and we were off! The weekend adventures had begun!

First stop was the Stanford Shopping Center where we visited Sprinkles Cupcakes. I am what one might call a cupcake enthusiast, and Ben knowingly thought going there might be something I would get a kick out of. He was right!



Apparently Sprinkles is so fantastic that we had to wait in line just to go inside! It was like some fancy night club masquerading as a humble cup cake bakery.

He tried the coconut, while I went for the chocolate marshmallow.
Delicious!!




Once we were armed with delicious cupcakes, we hit the road. Ben knew where we were going, but I was still totally in the dark, so I just enjoyed the ride and the company. We first enjoyed the landscapes and curvy roads of the Santa Clara mountains, but before long we were driving along the pacific coast, wind in our hair and salty air in our noses.

We pulled off for a while to do a little exploring - Ben was anxious to try to capture some wild life with his new camera. We found a group of uber lazy sea lions, an accommodating gull of some sort and some interesting sea grass.




We continued down the coast through Santa Cruz and other towns as well as lots of agricultural areas on into Monterey. I got very excited as we drove through Monterey, as Ben kept insisting he was only looking for a gas station to stop at to use the restroom. We arrived at the Centrella inn, our destination for the weekend...

No comments: